Friday, September 21, 2012

CHAPTER 11 TO 15



CHAPTER 11 - Dream Is Collapsing






When did the rain become a storm?
When did the clouds begin to form?
We got knocked off course by a natural force
And we'll be swimming when it's gone


– I really miss your smell – said to Tom while on the phone with him, as she lied on her couch. It was a Thursday night, and Tom had been traveling for almost a month with The Avengers cast, with premieres all over the world.

– Oh, I miss yours too – Tom replied.

– Actually, I am wearing your sweater that you left here, but it pretty much smells like me now...

– Great, then I can't wait to get it back! – Tom replied and laughed.

– I can't believe you're only gonna be home in three days! I miss you so much!

– Oh, I know darling, I miss you too. Are you going to be home all day tomorrow?

– Yeah, probably... I guess that's one good thing that you're not here, I can be home all day and not fix myself up...

– You know you don't need to do anything at all for me to want you... – Tom teased.

– Oh, no, don't make me miss you even more – replied and Tom laughed.

– How did it go in the studio today?

– Great! We recorded Once, and I tested out another one with the guys, and it sounds amazing!

– Great! Alright, my love, I have to go now, get some sleep.

– Oh, of course! You have to sleep whenever you can in these tours...

– Yeah, the hours are the craziest...

– I know, it's so weird! I remember when we were touring for Tangled, sometimes we'd wake up in a time zone and go to sleep in another one... Anyway, you'll still call before you come, right?

– I don't know... We'll probably speak again tomorrow night, okay?

– Okay. Love you!

– Love you too, bye!

On the next day, was awakened by the sound of a message from Tom on her phone.

My flight was moved. I will be home in twelve hours!

That is so great! You coming straight here?

Absolutely. Gotta go now, love you. xxx

Love you too xxxx :)

After sending the last message, 's phone rang, without an unknown number.

– Hello?

– Hey, um... is this ?

– Yes...?

– It's, um... Mike.

– MIKE? Mike Johnson?

– Yeah.

Yeah, it was Mike Johnson. 's ex-boyfriend, who she had broken up with about six months before meeting Tom, because he cheated on her.

– Oh my god, why are you calling me?

– I wanna meet you.

– Yeeeah, that's not gonna happen.

– Why not?

– Because! I have nothing left to say to you!

– Well, I do! I wanna talk to you... apologize and stuff.

– Fine – agreed irritated after some silent seconds.

– Can you meet me right now? At that Starbucks down your street?

– Okay.

hung up and changed out of her pajamas to a dark blue top, jeans and black flats, before grabbing her purse and leaving. She really didn't wanna meet Mike, because every since the end of their relationship, just the thought of him made her angry, but she knew he wouldn't give up until he got to talk to her.

*

– If you're looking for forgiveness, don't bother – said calmly, but in a serious tone, after sitting down with Mike – In fact, why do you bother?

– I don't know... I guess I just felt bad, after all. I mean, I knew all along what I did was wrong, but back then I didn't care about hurting people.

– Oh, back then? So one year and three months ago is already ancient history? – took a sip of her coffee after an ironic look.

– Yes, because I've changed! I'm a new person now... a person you'd like.

– My god Mike, are you trying to get me back or something?

– I really miss you – Mike stated after a couple of seconds and sighed.

– I have a boyfriend, you know.

– Yeah, I heard about that...

– Did you also hear he's not a jerk like you?

– Jesus, ! Can you be nice to me, for like a second?

– Ugh, please don't call me cradled her head in her hands – And, no, I can't be nice. I was nice to you way more than you deserved, and you never responded.

– I'm trying to, now...

– Well, I don't know if anyone's ever told you, but this is kind of too late – grabbed her purse and stood up.

, wait – Mike stood up as well and blocked her way to the door.

– You know, how did you get my number anyway?

– Um... I ran into Olive, and she gave it to me.

– She what? – raised her voice slightly.

– I had to insist a lot, but... Look, I'm sorry I stressed you out. Can we like, have dinner some time? Or anything, when you're calmer?

stared at Mike for a while before answering. She didn't wanna meet him again, because (a) she never wanted to meet him again and (b) they couldn't meet "when she was calmer", cause being calm would probably never happen around Mike. She was about to answer when a beautiful blond woman behind her shouted for Mike and walked towards him.

– Baby! What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at work? – The woman smiled and Mike looked in complete shock before she kissed him, which made realize she was being the other one. If she wasn't dating Tom, and had fallen for Mike's words, she would've been his next mistress.

– I'm... Um... Meeting my friend, – Mike pointed to awkwardly and the woman looked confused.

– Mike, please don't call me ever again. I don't wanna be your girlfriend, and I certainly don't wanna be your mistress – pronounced and then walked out the door. Since she was close to Ollie's house, she walked there to talk the main responsible for that horrible encounter.

! What are you doing here?

– Why did you give Mike my number? – sounded out fastly.

– I, um... Oh, did you just meet him now?

– Yes.

– I'm sorry, . But you know how that guy is, he wouldn't give up on getting it.

– Well, you had a choice! I didn't, cause he wanted to see me, and he knows where I live! You could've just said no and walked away!

– Yeah, but he was like tackling me, I don't know... Don't you wanna come in, sit down?

– I don't wanna come in, I just wanna know why did you totally stab me in the back! You of all people know I never wanna see Mike again.

, let me tell you some news: the world does not revolve around you. Ok? I was running late to see some wedding things, I'm sorry I didn't have time to be in a super special plan for you not running into your ex and keeping your perfect life course - Olive responded ironically and just stared at her for a few seconds, before turning back and leaving. Olive called her, which she ignored, her mind too busy with the rambles of seeing someone horrible from their past and fighting with her best friend, that was already tensed from wedding planning.

Walking back, it started raining. What a cliché, thought. Then again, thinking that when it started raining was becoming a cliché itself. didn't cry though, which would've been great for letting the anger go away. She just let the raindrops drip all over her as her mind got more and more irrational.

When getting home, fell onto the couch, dropping her purse and bringing her hands to her face, with the arms supported on her knees. It was uncanny how anything related to Mike could change 's mood. He let her down a lot before the cheating became the last straw, to the point where she just wanted him to leave the planet and never come back. She got stressed out of her system, and fights about stupid things with other people became much more likely to happen.

After about ten minutes, the door bell rang, and let out a relieved smile when seeing it was Tom, hugging him instantly.

– Are you ok?

– I just... kinda had a bad day. But you're here now – un-hugged Tom, who smiled and kissed her for a long time – How was your flight?

– Great! Hey, you know what I was thinking about? – Tom asked after pulling his bag inside and closed the door – Now we can go to the Opera tomorrow night!

– Yeah... oh, but I have Ollie's engagement party! – brought her hand to her head, from the sudden realization and attempt to ease the headache pain.

– Wasn't it next Friday?

– Yeah, but they moved it cause tomorrow is better for everyone. I actually had a fight with her today... But she's my best friend, I gotta be there.

– What did you fight about?

– Oh, um... Mike, my ex, ran into her and she gave him my number. Then he wanted to talk to me... It was horrible.

– Oh, I'm so sorry. But, it's a shame... I really wanted to go with you... – Tom hugged from behind.

– I'm sorry sweetie. I know how much you wanted to see the show...

– Oh, actually... I was... I was thinking if going anyway.

– Really? – looked at Tom – You're gonna go alone?

– Well, actually, now that you mentioned... – Tom un-hugged and ran his hand through his hair – Um... Susannah is going as well.

– Susannah? As in... your ex-girlfriend? – questioned confused.

– Um, yes, I... I ran into her in London, and turns out she's going too.

– Really? You ran into your ex too? Wow, talk about bad luck...

– Well, actually, mine wasn't all that bad... We had some drinks in a bar, I was there with a friend...


– Why didn't you tell me? – wondered out of plain curiosity, but the ache in her brain sort of made it sound like she was being the jealous girlfriend.

– I didn't think it was a big deal... – Tom defended.

– Well it is! I don't know, maybe it's just for me, I think ex's belong in the past. Though actually, Mike is the only one I never wanna run into again.

– Well, sorry, but I don't think it's all that bad. Maybe you're overreacting a little.

– I'm not overreacting, Tom. Not about Mike, you don't know that guy.

– Then why did you meet him?

– Cause he wouldn't give up on trying, I know it.

– Now you sound like this guy's dangerous...

– He's not dangerous, just really unpleasant.

– But then it turned out for good, right? Didn't you get some closure, hear about his life or something?

– No! – said with a rising anger – No part of it was good, Thomas, it wasn't the dreamy pleasant encounter you had with your ex, okay?

, calm down! All I said is that we talked. And–

– Well, then, if you talked you must now all about her life! – interrupted Tom – And if it's no big deal you can tell me right? – she tried to stay calm but the words kept coming out loudly and aggressively – So, what's up? She got a new boyfriend, new job? – kept talking and Tom just looked at her, not saying anything. – What?

– She kissed me.

– Are you serious? Oh my god, Tom, what else did you not tell me, that "was not a big deal"? Did you get someone pregnant on this trip, killed someone? – enunciated, now taking the character of the overreacting she was defending from.

, for the love of god, I already told you it didn't mean anything! I could be here, complaining about you running into you ex too, but you're acting like it's something completely different just because Susannah kissed me! – Tom raised his voice and now was the one not talking, just falling back in the couch as he shouted.

– I... can't believe this is happening – said, looking straight forward and trying to calm down.

– What is happening? Now you think I cheated on you?

– No! This is not about your ex-girlfriend anymore! I'm talking about us. About you – took a breath and brought her voice to the normal tone, looking at Tom. – You're the one who said we should just be friends. Because you had just gotten out of a serious relationship. And I know what that means. Some people think it means that's because you're still hung up on that person or something, but... it's something much worse.

– Trust – Tom completed while staring into 's eyes.

– Exactly. It's one of the hardest things to do, trust someone that is taking the same position as that person you used to trust until they broke your heart – said calmly, pausing before she guttered out the words she didn't really want to say. Because not only she didn't want to admit what she was about to say, she hadn't even realized it until now. Because it all seemed fine. But it wasn't. - And we weren't ready to trust each other yet.

– Maybe – Tom replied instantly, more as a way of defense than a confession. – But then, you kissed me, and...

– And what? You didn't want to tell me off again? Couldn't get rid of me? – confronted Tom.

– I'm just saying. It didn't go the way we planned. And I thought that was a good thing... but maybe it isn't – Tom looked at , waiting for a response, but getting no words. It was hard to read what 's eyes were saying, much because she didn't know it herself. She was trying to understand what was going on. How come they discovered what their problem was before knowing they had one?

– I think... we're forcing trust. We can't do that.

– But, I want to trust you...

– I know, but you can't rush that just because you kissed me back that night.

– Oh, so now this is my fault? – Tom began to rage again.

– No. It's our fault. That night, when I went to your house, I needed that kiss. And I'm glad you kissed me back. But then we just assumed that that was the start of a relationship, like all our problems and reasons to be just friends had been erased – looked at Tom with plain sadness in her eyes – I never wanted to be just friends, but... that doesn't make this our only path.

– What path do you want to take? – Tom asked.

– I think... – paused, stopping the tears from manifesting – We have to think about this... Separately.

– So... we're breaking up?

– We don't have to... break up. We could just, take a break or something.

– Well, do you really think that's going to be enough? Maybe we should break up...

– Why? So we can sleep with other people?

– So we can think, . Look at us, we can't stop screaming! This isn't something we'll get over after some fresh air!

As Tom concluded his thought, just stared at him, sinking his words and realizing he was right. They spent about a minute in that "talking with no words", not knowing how to leave it off. Eventually, Tom stood up and got his jacket and suitcase, walking out the door before facing once again and giving in to the temptation of one last hug.

*

Two hours later. No tears yet. Because it'd take more than that to come about with what had just happened. Was that just a childish argue of two tired and stressed people? Or was it a punishment they gave themselves for doing something spontaneous in their life? Maybe that was it. Maybe they just couldn't accept that something they didn't plan was working. It had to be processed, planned, and concluded. It couldn't just happen, it couldn't just start from a kiss and that was it.

Well, if that was really the reason, then should be feeling like processing, planning, and concluding. Not like throwing herself into Tom's arms and never leaving again. For once in her life, thinking rationally didn't seem like the answer. Because while that had gotten her great things in life, it now got her to break up with Tom. And, surprisingly, the unreasonable and scrambled thoughts did eventually lead to a conclusion:

There's no rationality, and no ease, when it comes to the love of your life.


CHAPTER 12 – Wipe Your Eyes


2 A.M and she calls me cause I'm still awake
Can you help me unravel my latest mistake?


Whatever differences this break up had from the ones in movies, something was annoyingly the same: crying. Tears did show up eventually. It was ridiculous even, and wasn't proud of becoming the picture of the girl she always despised. That sad little weak girl, who does nothing but crying until her knight and shining armor comes through the door and says everything is okay.

Not a lot of people saw that week. Her friends knew she preferred to be alone, and she was incredibly thankful for that. Chris, however, never accepted that his "little sister" would go through anything alone, even though he knew she was perfectly capable of doing so (at least until then).

– Hey – Chris said as he hugged , sat by her side in the couch and put her head in his shoulders, stroking her hair. – How are you doing?

– I’m fine – answered in a low voice, and Chris was silent for almost a minute before continuing.

– Do you realize that’s the first time you’ve ever lied to me?

– I… – shook her head negatively – I am. I’m fine.

– Hey – Chris lifted ’s head and looked her in the eyes – I’ve heard you say “I’m fine” a thousand times. And I believed you a thousand times. But this time I don’t. And you know it’s not true.

– I started crying… because the guy in the movie couldn't complete his coin collection. I started freaking crying because of that, Chris – said in between tears and they were silent again for about five minutes, watching the movie on TV. Then, suddenly remembered that Chris was coming from a meeting with the Avengers crew. – You saw him today – she said, looking straight forward without moving.

– Yes – Chris answered calmly and looked at him, trying to ask her question for almost a minute.

– Did he... did he ask about me?

– No – Chris answered in a comforting voice and bit her bottom lip, trying to hold back tears. – Look, I know Tom enough to assure you that the reason he didn't ask was not because he didn't care. I can tell you, with a hundred percent sure, that when he saw me today, he was using all his strength not to ask about you. Okay?

– Okay – nodded and rested her head on Chris' shoulder. He was really worried, because he had never seen her like this before, and he knew what and Tom wouldn't admit: that breaking up was a mistake. Or at least that their talk was not over.

– You're one of the strongest people I know – Chris said as he stroked 's hair. – I've lost count of how many times I've seen people doubt you were fine so shortly after a break up, but I knew you were fine. Because the first thing you do after breaking up is to go over the reasons for it. That's one of the things I most love about you, how rational you can be about these things. But... – Chris stopped to take a breath and make sure was still awake – I think you're suffering this time because... you can't find a reason. That's it, isn't it? – Chris said in a low voice and nodded while sniffing the tears.

– It was just all so stupid!

– I know, I know – Chris held tightly. – , you two need to talk. If you want, I can go to Tom's house and ask him to come here.

– No – she replied instantly while drying her tears. - Not until next week at least. I don't know how the conversation might go, and I'm practicing for the performance, I don't want anything getting in the way.

– Okay then – Chris put 's head back on his shoulder and hugged her, making her fall asleep. Then, he put a cover over her and left.

woke up only on the day after, since that had been the first time she actually slept out of tiredness. She put on some loud music and got into the bathtub, where she spent the next two hours. Then, she put on some clothes, reheated a pizza she found in the freezer and sat in the couch, scooping through the channels.

was going through channels when suddenly she saw that Midnight In Paris was on. The movie she'd watched in the theater with Tom, cuddling and resting on his shoulder. She automatically switched the channel and ended up in one that was airing the How I Met Your Mother episode she was in. She smiled at the coincidence, but then went back to focusing on her pizza. She was definitely more in the mood to eat than in the mood to laugh, or cry for that matter. looked back at the TV and remembered how happy she was that day, when she shot the episode. She was dating Josh and was already friends with the whole cast, so everyone was happy when she was invited for an episode.

So there she was, escaping from watching her ex-boyfriend in a movie but watching another ex-boyfriend in a TV show. Though that one didn't hurt to remember. It was a happy memory that didn't bring horrible thoughts. heard a knock on the door and soon Olive was inside the house, sitting by her side. They hadn't seen each other since her engagement party, a day after the break-up, where they made up from their fight.

– Yaaay, you're alive! And on TV, nice - Olive smiled and dropped the bag of chips she was eating.

– Chips, yummy – got the bag and started eating while Olive stared at her – What?

– Just because I'm not the type to hug you and ask tenderly how you're doing doesn't mean I don't wanna know...

– I'm okay – said while staring at a chip with an indifferent look before eating it.

– Pff, yeah right!

– You know, I was thinking... "Okay"... It's such a stupid word! I think that's why everyone says it and no one believes it. O, K. Two freaking letters, where's the depth in that?

– Are you drunk? – Olive asked.

– No. I'm actually out of booze and I didn't feel like going out. Couldn't find my sneakers.

– Well, if this not the effect of alcohol then you are clearly not okay. Whatever the... depth in that word is.

– And what's your genius theory to explain why I'm not fine? Besides the fact that I'm eating junk food, which doesn't really explain anything.

– Oh, I do have a genius theory. After a break up, it takes you three days tops to put on your sexiest outfit, call me and Chris to go to a bar, and kiss the hottest guy you find.

– I do not do that! – replied offended.

– Sorry sweetie, but you do. I'll give you that it might even be unconsciously, though. It's like you need some closure, or an excuse in case that ex-boyfriend ever comes back missing you. So how come right now you don't even wanna put on shoes to buy drinks down the street?

– Um... because... I'm okay in a different way this time.

– Oh, wow, now you totally convinced me – Olive replied sarcastically.

– Okay, I will give you one thing: maybe the crying part isn't over.

Actually, it was. Nonetheless, didn't leave her house or even do a single useful thing until the day she had to go to the recording studio. She would wake up, look outside and have the energy to do literally nothing, which was not like her - and obviously she had to go back to being herself, somehow. And though it wasn't yet clear to her mind how to do that, it was a very simple solution, that took only one person being back.


CHAPTER 13 – Thin, Thin Thread


I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

– I. Am. Okay. – said slowly while looking deeply into her publicist's eyes, as they sat in the editing room of the studio.

– Okay. I believe you this time - Amy replied as she distanced from .

– Thank you! Thank you for believing on the fiftieth time.

– This doesn't mean you are fine. It just means I think you can do this.

– What? Record a happy song while I'm supposedly depressed?

– Yes, exactly.

– I already told you Amy, I am not depressed. Maybe I will be in the future, but right now I am two weeks away from releasing my new album, so don't talk to me about anything else! – stood up and refilled her coffee mug – You're my publicist, you're the one who's supposed to be telling me these things!

– No, I'm supposed to be finding excuses to why was Tom photographed alone in a public event, which I am doing! Now come on - Amy opened the door to the recording studio and walked in.

always loved the recording studio. Not only because she could sing for a long time, but because of the peace it brought. Not that she didn't love hearing a crowd's reaction to her songs, but it was nice to be in a place where singing was literally the only thing she did.

At the end of the day, after recorded the remaining three songs of her new album entitled Bright Lights, she went straight to a beauty parlor for hair and makeup, since later at night she was performing at a benefit. Roughly twenty artists were singing at a theater in Los Angeles, and all the money earn would go to charity.

– Okay, your performance dress is already there and the one you're going with is already here – Amy said to as a hair dresser cut the tips of her wet hair.

– Okay, great. Did you tell the driver to leave us in the back door?

– Yep. Oh, you know what I was thinking? – Amy looked up from staring at her phone – We should cut your bangs! You could use a big change.

– No, you could use a big change, because you're bored.

– Well, that is true. But still, come on, you'd look great! And do all the interviews and shows with a new look is always refreshing.

– Yeah, I guess – analyzed her hair in the mirror – Haven't had bangs since I was ten... Okay then, do it – smiled at the hair dresser.

Later, and Amy went to the theater and got straight backstage. Some of her friends were going to see her, but Chris and Mila couldn't because they were both away for work. went to her dressing room and put on her dress, staying backstage while about four artists went before her.



was backstage when One Republic, the band performing before her, started their song. Her makeup was already done and she was alone, listening to the lyrics. The meaning they were bringing to her were almost making her cry, and she was trying her best not to fall apart before the moment she'd been preparing to all month. She just needed to pretend it was all fine.


Lord knows I failed you time and again
But you and me are alright

We won't say our goodbyes, you know it's better that way
We won't break, we won't die, it's just a moment to change
All we are, all we are, is everything that's great
All we need, all we need, a lover's alibi

I walked a minute in your shoes
They never would've fit
I figured there's nothing to lose
I need to get some perspective on these words before I write them down
You're an island and my ship is running ground


When they finished, the lights went off and switched places with them, taking the center of the stage. While focusing, which for was thinking of nothing but the song, she looked down to the sparkles in her dress, partially shining, and wondered if the people in the audience could see it too. As the lights faded on, the song started and began singing, fixating on a point further back.



I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears

For some reason, decided to look over to the vip seats, where Tom had bought a ticket to months before. As she looked through the faces, she saw Tom. He was there, in his seat. looked away before even processing the information completely.

"He's not supposed to be here. What is he doing here?" thought as she stared at a random spot. Thankfully, that moment didn't get in the way of her singing. In fact, she decided to look at him again. To make sure it was really him. She looked back and confirmed it, not wanting to look away anymore. She spent her whole week trying to forget about him, just for that performance, but somehow he was helping her get through
the chorus.


These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase
When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

Usually when you're in the crowd, you can't know for sure where the performer is looking at. But Tom knew. Somehow he knew she was staring right at him, which didn't make him feel good. He still wasn't sure why he had decided to come at all. Yet somehow, he continued to stare at her through the entire song.

was alternating between looking at Tom and closing her eyes, and she just wanted the song to be over soon. That was probably the only time she ever wished for that while singing.


I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along


When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

As soon as the song was over, looked away and "came back" as the claps started, smiling for the crowd and thanking them.

– Ladies and gentleman, we're gonna take a short break, and when we come back, Maroon 5! – The narrator said as the curtains closed, and walked backstage.

! – Adam shouted and approached to congratulate her – You were great!

– Aw, thank you! – smiled.

– Yeah, you kinda raised the bar there, I'm scared to go on next! – Adam laughed.

– Oh, stop it – laughed – You guys are gonna kill it!

– Are you gonna stick around to watch?

– Of course! – she smiled.

– Oh, I wanted to ask you something...

– Sure, what is it?

– We just finished writing a song for our new album, and, uh, I was thinking if you could stop by the studio one of these days. I think it needs a female voice - Adam smiled.

– Really? That's awesome!

– Yeah, I think it'd be great! But no pressure, you know. Just give me a call, we're there like everyday now, and, uh... let's see how it goes!

– Absolutely! It's gonna be great – smiled and walked away, getting to her dressing room after a couple more people congratulated her.

changed out of her dress to the one she had come with, and as she sat down by the dressing table to reapply makeup before going to the vip area and watch Maroon 5 perform, she just stared at herself in the mirror, without thinking of anything specifically. And then the tears came, again.



She was still thinking of nothing specifically, so much that the tears flushed down without her having any control of it; the song she just sang still echoing in her mind. Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams / Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me... God, how she missed his voice. Why did she have to pick that stupid song to sing? A while later, a single knock on the door brought her back.

– Just a minute – dried her tears with some tissues and quickly put on some makeup – Come in - she shouted, reaching for phone to check the time. After the sound of the door opening, there was no one talking, so she turned around.

freezed the second she saw Tom, and they both just stared at the other for almost a minute. Saying no words, but saying a lot. He looked great with a blue shirt and black jeans, his almost-blonde-brown hair brushed back, the way loved it. It was like in that moment, a part of her wanted to jump into Tom's arms, but a force of the same intensity was keeping her back. took a glimpse at Tom's hand, still holding the door knob, which made him walk in and close the door. stood up and started putting away some random things that were over the table.

– You were great – Tom let out at once the sentence he'd been trying to say, making look at him, still not able to say a word - Um... your, your hair looks really good – Tom forced a smile. wanted to be able to thank him, he wanted to be able to nod and walk away. But things – and especially conversations - hadn't been going the way they wanted it to.

– Why did you come?

– I... I don't know – Tom replied, still staring at , her tears starting to manifest. "This is not the time to cry", thought while closing her eyes, before he proceeded. – You saw me there, didn't you?

– I did – nodded, and opened her humid eyes.

– Why did you... keep looking at me?

– You were... kind of keeping me going – said in a low voice as she faced the floor.

– It felt horrible – Tom's words made her stare back at him – Like you were singing those words to me.

knew what he meant by that, but at the moment the anger took over her. The thought of having Tom think he was the center of everything and that she couldn't let go of him made her stare at him with fussiness now.

– How is that even possible? I was just singing to the lyrics, Tom!

– Yes, I know, but it felt horrible, because you kept looking at me! – Tom raised his voice like just had – Like you were shooting me, piercing me with every word!

– Then why didn't you look away?

– Because! Because – Tom took a breath and brought his voice back to the normal volume, ending the sequence of hurtful words – When I looked you, it hurt, but... it was still the best I felt since we broke up.

swallowed her words, dropping a single tear. Tom looked at it with his moist eyes, in a pity look.

He had done it again. Dropped a sentence that felt like it crushed with the weight of the whole world. Only this time it somehow felt a bit relieving. couldn't explain at all what she was feeling. So she did the only thing she wanted to do: closed the distance between them in a single second, and she and Tom let themselves fall into a deep and tight hug. They both let out a loud breath of relief, and said nothing for a couple of minutes. They just closed their eyes to feel the other one's presence. As they faced once again, without un-hugging, they rested their foreheads together.

– When I told you that you made me feel so much better than I ever had – stated as she put both hands in Tom's face, and he did the same with her – I never realized that meant that if we ever broke up, I'd feel so much worse than I ever had.

– I know. When I think back that night, nothing makes sense. It was all so stupid – Tom placed one of his hands in the back of 's head and involved her lips in his, in the passionate kiss that had been stuck in their throats.

– I just... I have no idea why I said that – said in a low voice, her eyes closed and her forehead resting on Tom's as she stroked the back of his head – I was just so tired, and I started saying those stupid things...

– I was really tired too. I regret every word so much. I don't even know where that came from... We were just too stubborn to unsay the things. But I do, I trust you.

– I do too – smiled and hugged him again.

CHAPTER 14 - Every Second Is A Highlight

– I trust you. Do you trust me? – Tom asked as he lied on top of in bed, kissing her neck.

– Yes – she answered, her eyes still closed. – I trust you. And I love you. And that's ticklish - and Tom laughed, and he reached for her hand and held it.

*

– Look, as much as I loved our decision to have sex first, we did agree on talking all of it off - Tom and laughed.

– Yes, we will talk, about everything, until it's all settled! Like adults.

– So, about Mike... I was thinking, you're really mature with your break-ups... But this guys really gets you out of your system, uh?

– Yeah. I'm friendly with all my other ex's, if i run into them I just sincerely wish them the best. But Mike, every since we broke up I just want him a hundred percent out of my life. He's just too stubborn for that plan to work perfectly.

– Must've been an ugly breakup...

– Not so much... I mean, walking in on a semi-naked chick in his office wasn't exactly fun... but it was more like a wake-up call, you know? Like, ", look who this guy really is! Get out while there's time!"

– Well, thank god you did – Tom smiled.

– What about Susannah? Who ended it?

– I did. She didn't, um.. Want to get more serious.

– Really? So... do you mean... You want something serious?

– Well, I'm not getting any younger – Tom and laughed – I didn't exactly pressure her, but yeah, I mean... there comes a point in your life where casual just doesn't make sense anymore. You need something steady, and real.

– So... am I something real? – put her hand over Tom’s, which was at the table.

– You are the something real – Tom replied, making smile and get up to sit in his lap and kiss him.

*

About a week later, went to Maroon 5's studio to check out the song Adam had told her about, named One More Night. She had seen the lyrics and was about to hear it for the first time, and maybe close the deal and record it with them.

– James, hi! – smiled when running into James, the band's guitarist, right after arriving in the studio.

– Hey , how are you doing? – James hugged her.

– Great! Are you guys ready?

– Yeah, yeah, I think everyone's here... – James opened the door and saw the other four guys setting their equipments.

– Hey! – Adam smiled and hugged .

– Hi, guys! – smiled back and said hi to everyone.

– Ok, so, we'll do a final rehearsal now, you hear the song, and if you're on board we record it! – Adam said to .

– Ok, sure! – smiled and went to the other room, to hear the song with the technicians and her publicist.

– So, what do you think? – Adam asked as he walked out, after ending the song.

– I'm already in love, I wanna walk out of here with it on my iPod – answered and Adam laughed.

– So, I guess we can already sign contracts, uh? - Amy asked as she and a producer of the band went over some documents, and started signing them while the band recorded the instrumental part of the song.

– Hey, do you think it's okay if I post a picture of me and , maybe give a hint about the song? – Adam asked his publicist.

– Oh, sure, that's great! – he answered, and then Adam hugged from the side for the picture, taken by Amy.

– Ok, you guys are up – a man showed up and called Adam and – We're recording you together already, and if we need to we'll record separately too.

– Okay – smiled and went inside the studio with Adam. Right before the song started, she saw Tom arriving and greeting Amy, so she blew him a kiss.



(blue is for Adam, purple for and black for both)


You and I go hard at each other like we're going to war

You and I go rough, we keep throwing things and slamming the door
You and I get so damn dysfunctional we start keeping score
You and I get sick, yeah I know that we can do this no more

But baby there you go again, there you go again making me love you oh
Yeah I stopped using my head, using my head let it all go oh
Now you're stuck on my body, on body like a tattoo oh
And now I'm feeling stupid, feeling stupid coming back to you

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
That I'll only stay with you one more night
And I know I said it a million times
But I'll only stay with you one more night

Try to tell you no but my body keeps on telling you yes
Try to tell you stop, but your lipstick got me so out of breath
I'll be waking up in the morning probably hating myself
I'll be waking up inner satisfied but guilty as hell

But baby there you go again, there you go again making me love you oh
Yeah I stopped using my head, using my head let it all go oh
Now you're stuck on my body, on body like a tattoo oh
And now I'm feeling stupid, feeling stupid coming back to you

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
That I'll only stay with you one more night
And I know I said it a million times
But I'll only stay with you one more night

Yeah baby give me one more night
Yeah baby give me one more night
Yeah baby give me one more night

Baby there you go again, there you go again making me love you
Yeah I stopped using my head, using my head let it all go
Got you stuck on my body, on my body like a tattoo
yeah, yeah, yeah

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
That I'll only stay with you one more night
And I know I said it a million times
But I'll only stay with you one more night

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
That I'll only stay with you one more night
And I know I said it a million times
But I'll only stay with you one more night

– That's a wrap!

– That was great, , so much fun!

– Yeah, I loved it!

– So great that you could come on board - Adam kissed her cheek and she walked out.

– Hey – smiled at Tom and gave him a quick kiss.

– What a great song, uh?

– I know, it's so fun right? – smiled.

– What time do you have to leave? – Tom asked after a hug.

– Um... – looked at her watch – Five hours. We better make it count - She smiled.

– Well, not that I don't agree, but.. We'll have much more time than that.

– What do you mean?

– I'm going with you.

– Oh my god! Really? – smiled and Tom and nodded.

– The meeting was moved to next week, so I'm free – Tom smiled.



Later that day, and Tom flew together to New York, where in the following day was having a photoshoots and interview for Vogue.

– I love New York so much – glanced the city from the taxi cab while holding Tom's hand.

– Yeah?

– Yeah, I mean... This is where I had my first concert... It's where I was when I found out my single hit number 1 on Billboard – looked at Tom – And it's where I met you.

– Well, you know that's more than enough for me to love this city as well – Tom smiled and kissed , and then her phone rang.

– Hey Ollie!

– Hey sweetie! Did you arrive yet?

– Yep, just getting to the hotel – answered as the cab stopped by their hotel – What's up?

– I found a dress!

– Really? That's great! Is it from that store we went to last week?

– No, it's from New York actually!

– Awesome! Do you want me to pick it up?

– Oh, no, no, that's just a coincidence! The tailor’s bringing it next week for a fit...

– That is so great Ollie! I wanna see it when you try it on!

– Oh, of course! Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that... Have fun tomorrow!

– Thanks honey, bye – smiled and hung up.

The next day, and Tom slept until about 10 a.m, and woke up just in time for 's new album launch - which was just something symbolical, really, meaning that as of that moment her album was available on stores all over the world. "Bright Lights is here! Go get it right now!" tweeted along a link to buy the album on iTunes.

A while later, she and Tom went to the Vogue Magazine building, where after hair, makeup and a variety of outfits, started working on the photos. There was a huge team of photographers, makeup artists, and all sorts of technicians. took some pictures in front of a blank screen, some in a green screen and a few others in the building's roof, wearing a total of six outfits.

– Are you gonna go meet your friend now? – asked Tom after the photo shoot ended, before changing back to her clothes.

– Yes, in about twenty minutes...

– Ok, I'll call you when I'm done – smiled and kissed Tom.

After half an hour, and her publicist Amy went back to the rooftop for the interview. They sat by some chairs, Amy staying further in the back. It was a beautiful sunny yet windy day, and that combined with the fact was sipping iced tea under an umbrella tent put her in a really good mood.

– Hello! I'm Lara, nice to meet you – the interviewer smiled and stood up and greeted her.

– Hi, nice to meet you too!

– So, let me just go over some things and we'll be right off – she sat down and started organizing some papers – Oh, I meant to ask you something... Could you sign this for my daughter, please? – Lara handed a picture of Rapunzel, the Disney princess had dubbed – If it's no trouble, of course.

– Oh, absolutely! – smiled and put the picture over the center table, grabbing a pen – What's her name?

– Sally. She's a huge a fan of yours, she knows all your songs... she freaked out when she found out you're Rapunzel's voice! – Lara answered and they laughed.

– Oh, that is so cute! Hey, you know what, Amy? – turned to her publicist.

– Yes?

– Do we have any CDs here?

– Yeah, I think they're downstairs.

– Can you get me one please? Then I'll send it along the poster.

– Oh my god, really? Wow, she's gonna love this! Thank you so much!

– Oh, not at all! – smiled, and Lara went back to setting her stuff. After Amy came back, signed the CD, and then Lara turned on her recorder and put it over the table.

For the following half-hour or so, they talked about it all – tour plans, videos for the singles, personal life, and even a bit about her song with Maroon 5, which everyone had found out about through Adam’s tweet on the day before, and could only let out that it was going to be a single with a video, and nothing more than that.

– Ok, then, I got all I need! – Lara stopped the recorder – Thank you so much, have a great day!

– Thanks! You too! – smiled and the woman went away.

, Tom called – Amy said while they were on the elevator – He said Scarlett and Jeremy invited you two for dinner, and he's waiting back at the hotel for you.

– Oh, that's great, thanks! By the way, you're free now! Got any plans for the night?

– Not really, I'm staying with my sister, we're just gonna rent some movies and eat crap – Amy and laughed.

– Well, you know that's my favorite kind of plan – smiled.

*

– So, you guys are confirming that you’re dating then? – asked after the four of them had ordered. They were in a small and cozy Japanese restaurant that Scarlett and Jeremy had heard great reviews of, and it fit perfectly to that summery evening.

– Yes, around next week I think – Scarlett answered. – There are just too many rumors now, and we can only fight this for so long…

– Well, I think now is the perfect time, I mean… if you guys had said anything during the press tour, they would’ve been all over your asses for it in the interviews. But now it’s all over, and in time for Avengers 2 everyone will have settled about it.

– Yeah, that’s what we’re hoping for… – Scarlett smiled.

– So, , how did the interview go? – Jeremy asked.

– Oh, it was great! Though I always feel a little weird spending so much time talking about my life – laughed and they agreed.

– I feel the same way – Tom stated – Whenever the questions are about my life specifically I keep wondering “How can you be so interested in that?” – Tom laughed.

– Yeah, exactly! Once my grandma sent me a picture of me walking down the street, and the caption said “Scarlett Johansson strolls down Sunset Boulevard after stopping by Starbucks”… I mean, who cares about that?

– Well, but if you think about it, we cared about those stuff with our idols when we were younger – replied – I don’t know, I think it’s just fun to see celebrities doing normal things, I mean… We’re always dressed fancy in premieres, or putting on a big show, so I think people find it nice to see we’re human beings too.

– Yeah, I guess that’s it – Jeremy smiled.


CHAPTER 15 - Strumming On My Heart Strings

It had been a month since recorded the song with Maroon 5, and that night they were releasing it as a single, singing it live for the first time on The Voice, the reality show Adam was a part of.

– Are you watching NBC already? – asked Tom on the phone while sitting backstage.

– Yeah, it's about to start...

– Really? Doesn't quite look like it - looked out the door and saw a man running and shouting - Ok, now it does. Anyways, look out for that guy Pip's performance. I just met him, he's such a sweetheart!

– Will do. Is he on Adam's team?

– Yeah. I'm gonna go now, to watch the show and get ready, okay?

– Alright my love, bye.

– Bye! Love you – smiled and hung up.

"Sobered up yet?" texted Olive.

"Totally! Everyone should have their bachelorette party two days before the wedding, instead of one... then there's no harm in drinking!" Olive replied and laughed.

"Well then thanks to myself, cause we moved it because of me. Watching the show btw?"

"OF COURSE I AM! I love this show! And Jim I'm pretty sure is obsessed with it."

"JIM IS THERE? You're not supposed to see each other before the wedding!"

"We're not supposed to see each other on our wedding day, which is not for another three hours. And then another six hours before the sun rises, which is the day. He's not even spending the night I promise!"

"K, fine. See you tomorrow bridey!!!"

watched the first part of the show backstage, on a TV. When they cut to commercials, she and the band quickly took the stage, and Adam joined them as everyone set up the instruments.

– Ready? – Adam smiled at right before the show came back.

– More than ever – smiled.

– Back in ten! – a voice on the speaker shouted, and as everyone took their positions, the stage lights dimmed down.

– Alright, we are back with The Voice live! – the host announced on the microphone – We are still getting many great performances by the artists, to which you can vote later on our website. But now, to perform their brand new single for the first time, here's Maroon 5 and , with One More Night! – The lights came up, the audience clapped and screamed, and the song started.

The multiple claps and cheers at the end of the song, as the lights went off again, made really happy. She had never released a single by singing it live before, and she found it felt great to receive the feedback immediately. After that, stayed until the end of the show, and then went back to her place. The morning after, woke up late for lunch with Olive, in the resort hotel where her wedding with Jim was happening that afternoon.



– And where the hell is ? - heard Jim's sister Kaley saying as she entered the room, carrying her bag and her dress.

– I'm here! Sorry, how late am I?

– Not much actually, I guess I'm just bored – Kaley smiled and kissed .

– Ollie! – ran to Olive and gave her a hug – Oh my god, I can't believe this day is here! This is so great – smiled after un-hugging.

– I know, I can't believe it either! – Olive smiled.

– So, Kara is the only bridesmaid still not here, and she just texted me she's not coming for lunch... – Kaley stated.

– Ok, then, let's go cause I'm starving! – Olive replied and the four girls went for an amazing meal in the hotel restaurant. After that, they went back to the bridal suite to chill out, and since there wasn't much to do and Olive wasn't freaking out at all, they just stayed talking and watching TV.

– The guys arrived, and everything is ready downstairs - said after entering the room, where Olive was sitting and waiting for her nails to finish drying, and the other bridesmaids were getting ready.

– Great! What time is it?

– Three sharp.

– Ok, two hours to go... Nails are done, I'm getting hair and makeup right now...

– Then you just strap on that dress and go marry the guy down the hall - smiled.

, I think you already know this, but... I just wanted to thank you, for everything. I have a lot of amazing people in my life, but you? You're always there for me, every second, in every mood I might be in. And, most importantly, you're probably about ninety-percent responsible for this wedding happening! – Olive smiled and laughed.

– Oh, you're welcome sweetie. I love you, and I know I can always count on you too – smiled and they hugged.

About an hour after that, most of the guests had arrived, the bridesmaids were ready and Olive had her hair and makeup done. She was about to put on her dress when went to check on Jim, who was just about ready too in another room.

– Hey there, charming – showed up by the door and caught Jim fixing his tie.

– Hey – he smiled and turned around – How are things going in the bridal area?

– Well, not very normal... – approached Jim and helped fixing the tie – And by that I mean Ollie is not freaking out – she concluded and Jim laughed.

– Let's just hope the freak out doesn't come five minutes before the wedding!

– Nah, you'll be fine – smiled – Hey, you know what I was thinking about on my way over here?

– What?

– Remember in our prom, when Ollie was mad at you cause she thought you were checking out another girl? Before you made up with her you said to me "I gotta make things right with her, . I'm gonna marry that girl someday".

– Oh my god, that is true! – Jim smiled – Guess I'm a man of word then...

– Well, if you are, then I recall you owe me a quarter of the fortune you made by building rocket ships – and Jim laughed.

– My god, I still cannot believe I thought that was an actual way to make money – Jim shook his head and then got a text message from Tom, saying he had arrived.

– Oh, another tie for me to fix – looked up from her phone and smiled – See you later, Jim.

– See ya – Jim kissed 's cheek and she left.

– Everything alright with the groom too – smiled at Olive when walking by her room – I'll be right back.

walked down the stairs and soon found Tom, who was looking great in his tuxedo and smiled when seeing her.

– Hey – smiled and brought her hands to Tom's neck, kissing him.

– Hello, gorgeous – Tom smiled – How's it going up there?

– Great, looks like no one's running away – smiled.

– Well that alone settles for a great day – Tom smiled and laughed.

– Did Chris and Mila get here yet?

– Yeah, we arrived together actually.

– Oh, that's great! Let me go say hi... – walked outside, where the 4:30 P.M sun was still shining bright, and Mila looked at her and turned back to Chris as she approached.

– See, I told you it was important to know how the bridesmaids' dresses are, I almost bought one exactly this color! – Mila scowled at Chris, who rolled his eyes as hugged her.

– But what would've been the problem if you looked like the bridesmaids?

– Chris! – reproved him – No one likes to wear a dress that looks like any other one in the party! Unless you are a bridesmaid!

– Exactly! Thank you – Mila smiled and caught a look at a distracted Chris.

– Are you mad at me because I helped your girlfriend win the discussion?

– What? – Chris looked at – No, I'm just thinking you're not gonna give me any attention today, because of Scott.

– Oh my god, Scott is here? – smiled surprised.

– See? – Chris looked at Mila and pointed at - keeps pretending to like me, but when my brother's in town it's like I don't even exist.

– Well, excuse me if your brother is way nicer than you and I can only have him for brief periods – joked and walked away.

– Hey, little! – Scott formed a big smile when seeing , and she closed the distance between them by jumping in for a hug.

– Scott! I haven't you in so long! – smiled after they exchanged kisses on the cheek – Have you met Tom?

– I did actually, I was just talking to him!

– Any thoughts?

– Oh, , you know he had me at being British – Scott answered and laughed.

– Yeah, well, the same for me – smiled – Speaking of boyfriends, I saw a picture of yours, what a hottie!

– I know right! I'm still wondering how I landed a ten...

– Oh, please, just look at your gorgeous face, that's how you did it – and Scott smiled, and then she noticed the event planner was starting to ask people to take their places, so she went back upstairs to check up on Olive – Oh my god, you look so perfect!

– You've seen me in the dress before! – Olive answered while still glancing in the mirror.

– I know, but now you got hair and makeup, and... it's official – smiled and stood by Olive's side.

– Hey – Olive looked at – Remember in high school, when we staged we were gonna get married on the same day and be pregnant together? – The two of them let out laughs and shook her head.

– Right, because all that it takes is to want it! An infallible plan, really.

– Well, it's thirteen years later and you gotta admit we're not completely far from it, are we?

– Yeah, I guess, maybe... Anyway, today is not about me. It's about the wedding of "Jimollie" – and Olive laughed.

– My god, remember how much we laughed when we came up with that?

– I do, that's so embarassing – smiled – Okay, now let's go.

kissed Olive's cheek and then went downstairs. The ceremony was happening at a beautiful large green field just outside the hotel, and the bride and bridesmaids were behind a door before it. A couple minutes later, when everyone was positioned, and the other bridesmaids entered with the best men, and then Olive entered.

After the ceremony, everyone went for the hotel restaurant and had dinner after a couple of hours. A lot of food, waiting around and speeches later, Jim and Olive took the center of the dance floor for their first dance as a couple.

– They're such a beautiful couple – Tom said while rested on his shoulder, watching their dance.

– Yeah... I think it's part of why I fought so much to keep them together all these years, how beautiful they look as a couple – and Tom laughed, then the song ended and everyone clapped as Jim and Olive kissed.

– Do you want to go dancing? – Tom asked when another song started and several people went to the dance floor.

– Sure! – smiled in response and they started on the rocking ballad. After a while, a slow song started playing, so brought her hands to Tom's neck as he involved her waist. Later, the band went back to a valse, probably a request from Olive, wanting to feel like a princess.

– Ma'am? – Jim extended his hand, and took for a dance after Tom had nodded and taken Olive to dance with him.

– Wow, you are quite the prince tonight! – made Jim laugh – Bet you can't you wait to get to your sweat suit and go play soccer...

– Nah, I'm kinda liking this actually... and Ollie's having the time of her life!

– Well, it is her wedding day.

– You mean our wedding day.

– No, I really mean hers. Come on, wedding is always a party for the bride! Do you see anything here designed to please men?

– Alcohol – Jim and laughed.

– Well okay then, if I ever get married I'll make sure there's plenty of that for the guys – smiled.

If you get married? Come on , look at you.

– Aw, thanks – smiled.

– And, uh... If I may risk it a little longer, I'd say there's already a pretty strong candidate – Jim and looked over to Tom, who seemed to be having a very funny conversation with Olive.

– Don't push me, you know I don't like that!

– Alright – Jim smiled just in time for the song to end, so they kissed each other's cheek and separated.

For the following song, the newlyweds were joined back together, and since Tom had started dancing with Mila, went and sat down in the table Chris was in.

– Great party, uh?

– Yeah! Did you know that was my idea? – pointed to the small glass with a jelly shot in Chris' hand.

– Well god bless you, – Chris smiled.

– How many of these have you had? – asked with a laugh.

– Five, I think...

– Ooh, that's not good!

– It's alright, Mila's approved of drunken Chris already.

– Really? Wow, that's a keeper!

– Yeah... – Chris smiled – I'm gonna go to the bathroom, be right back.

For the remaining part of the song, just looked fixatedly at Tom, not bothering to look away for a second. When it ended, Tom and Mila hugged and he approached as she walked away.

– Oh my god – Tom exclaimed while noticing where had been staring, her mind probably still wandering somewhere – Were you staring at my ass?

came about and suddenly looked at Tom, trying to formulate a smart answer. But instead, she just blurred it out:

– Yes, yes I was – Tom laughed and sat down – It's a very fine ass, really.

– Well, right back at ya – Tom smiled and kissed – Are you tired? Do you want to go home?

– No, not really – lyed on Tom's shoulder and held his hand – I just wanna be wherever you are. That’s enough.

6 comments:

  1. OH SNAP... CRACKLE, POP,I JUST DROPPED MY RICE krispies. THIS IS.....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you for saying that ahahaha

      Delete
  2. I SEE NOTHING BUT PAIN HERE

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO YOU DI-IDN'T!!

    I died a little bit inside.... :(

    Are they going to be allright? Please say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Were you staring at my ass?" UDSYGBYUDGNUYFDNGFN EXCELLENT ENDING

    ReplyDelete